HOCKSTEIN'S HARDWOOD FLOORING WARRANTY AND CLAIM PROCEDURE
Wood is a natural product that expands and contracts according to changes in humidity in such a manner that gaps may occur after installation. This natural phenomenon is not covered under the warranty. At all times, it is necessary to maintain a relative humidity between 30 percent and 50 percent and an ambient temperature of 65 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit; otherwise the warranty will not apply.
The purchaser must understand that the wood flooring industry provides for a margin of 5% loss due to the natural imperfections found in wood.
The purchaser is responsible for ensuring at all times prior to installation that the work site and the preparation of the subfloor are adequate and follow the NWFA guidelines or the installation instructions contained in or on the packaging. During installation, the purchaser shall inspect and ensure that the flooring that is to be installed is free of defects in quality, given that Hockstein's Inc. will only replace defective boards exceeding the 5% loss that have not been installed, which is the accepted standard in the industry.
The warranty offered by Hockstein's Inc. applies only to normal residential use by the purchaser and shall not be transferable to a third party. It is normal that exposure to light alters the color of the flooring for all types of species and Hockstein's Inc. is not responsible for this effect.
If the installer is in doubt as to the grade, quality or finish of a board and is unable to eliminate the flaw, the board should be discarded. ONCE THE BOARD HAS BEEN NAILED DOWN OR GLUED, IT IS DEEMED TO HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED BY THE INSTALLER AND THE OWNER. HOCKSTEIN'S INC. WILL ONLY REPLACE DEFECTIVE BOARDS IN EXCESS OF THE 5% ACCEPTABLE LOSS THAT HAVE NOT BEEN NAILED DOWN. (EXCLUDING THE 4 TO 6 % MARGIN FOR LOSS DUE TO CUTTING). HOCKSTEIN'S INC.WILL NOT COVER ANY COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH LABOR OR INSTALLATION.
Hockstein's Inc. provides the standard manufactures warranty to the purchaser, which includes a life time structural and 15-50 year finish warranty depending on the product purchased. That information can be found on the sample at the point of purchase. Hockstein's Inc. and their suppliers provide the warranty on the finish of the flooring against total wear through of the urethane finish or the peeling of the finish from the surface of the board. The wear must be greater than 10 % of the total area of the installed floor. Gloss reduction is not considered surface wear and is not covered by this limited warranty.
In addition to what is stated in this document, the warranty offered by Hockstein's Inc. does not apply for each of the following cases:
- When the installation of the flooring fails to comply with the installation instructions indicated on or in the packaging.
- When solid flooring is installed in a basement (below grade), directly on a concrete floor or in a room equipped with radiant heating.
- Some adhesive manufactures warranty direct glue down of solid hardwood flooring on concrete. If this installation is performed, all warranty claims shall be handled between the Adhesive manufacture and the purchaser. Hockstein's Inc. and their suppliers will not be held responsible on a glue down installation claim of solid hardwood flooring on concrete. (Engineered flooring is excluded)
- When flooring is transported, stored or handled in a negligent or inadequate manner.
- When the preparation of the surface to be covered or the environment is inadequate for flooring installation.
- If the products have been used or installed for purposes other than normal residential use.
- Where the damage is the result of improper installation, abnormal use, stones, abrasive substances, fallen and scraping objects, the movement of furniture, hammering or scratches caused by animals.
- If damage has been caused in whole or in part by a sudden change in the humidity of the wood, by water damage, excessive heating or lack thereof.
- After repairs were made without the prior written consent of Hockstein's Inc.
- After any refinishing of the flooring.
MAINTENANCE AND PRESERVATION GUIDELINES
Failure to comply with the following guidelines will void the warranty.
- Use a vacuum cleaner to remove without delay all abrasive substances (sand, slivers of glass, etc.) that could scratch the finish. Frequent vacuuming is recommended to eliminate abrasive dust accumulating on the surface and between the boards.
- Maintain relative humidity between 30 percent and 50 percent and an ambient temperature between 65 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit in the home in order to stabilize the internal humidity of the wood.
- Use only the products designed specifically for cleaning prefinished hardwood flooring. Spray a small quantity of cleaner on a cloth or mop and wipe the surface.
- Note that only small amounts of liquid are required. Wash the mop cover or cloth as required.
- Never use wax, household detergents or oil-based soap on the floor .These products may damage the finish and leave a greasy film, making the floor slippery and difficult to maintain afterwards. Mixtures of water and vinegar are not recommended for cleaning floors, since vinegar has an oxidizing effect on urethane over a long period of time.
- Water is one of the worst enemies of wood. Wipe up spilled water, liquids or detergents immediately, before they are absorbed by the woods fibers. The combined effect of water and sand is devastating to flooring. This is why it is important to place floor mats at each entrance and in front of the sink, the dishwasher or work areas.
- Glue felt pads to the legs of the furniture and chairs to avoid scratching the flooring when objects are moved. Periodically examine the pads for wear and place when needed. Avoid rolling chairs with casters on the finished surface. Roll them on carpets or chair mats only.
- Avoid wearing high - heeled shoes on hardwood floors, as they can mar the surface.
- Heel surfaces are so small that the pressure exerted can easily reach 3,500 pounds per square inch. If the heel is worn or broken, the damage may be even greater.
- Shoes with nail or metal - tipped soles are to be avoided.
- Do not drag furniture or heavy objects across the finished surface. Lift any furniture that must be moved.
- Protect wood surfaces from sunlight or other sources of bright artificial light. Prolonged or repeated exposure to bright light will change the color of wood, even if the surface is covered with one of the most yellowing - resistant finishes on the market. Such color changes are a natural phenomenon. Moreover, changes in color to light wood are even more apparent than changes to dark wood.
- Small scratches can easily be corrected and covered with a touch up kit, which may be purchased from your local dealer. First clean the damaged area, then rub the scratch with the wax crayon corresponding to the color of the wood and finally seal the repaired area with a thin coat of urethane, it is important to seal any unprotected area of wood.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
Although the products sold by Hockstein's Inc. are manufactured according to the highest quality standards in the industry, should it occur that certain products are defective, Hockstein's Inc. and their suppliers liability will be limited to one the following, at the sole discretion of Hockstein's Inc. and the manufacture of the product, namely:
- To supply the material to replace the defective flooring.
- To supply the material and the labor to resurface the flooring in the room where there is a total wear through of the urethane finish of more than 10 % of the total surface area of installed flooring.
- To provide compensation, which may not, at any time, exceed the net cost of the defective boards, excluding the cost of installation if included in the price.
- Hockstein's Inc. does not assume any other responsibility for any damage that the purchaser may occur and will not compensate the purchaser in any other way.
Claim policy and basic terms of sale. Please review the following carefully.
PRODUCT CLAIMS MUST BE MADE BEFORE INSTALLATION. It is our responsibility to provide a well manufactured product but it is the purchaser's responsibility to confirm this BEFORE installation. While industry standards allow for up to 5% of the total order to contain manufacturing or grade defects, all flooring must be inspected for quality of manufacture, grade, and moisture content prior to installation.
- Please verify that Hockstein's Inc. invoice corresponds in detail with your verbal or written purchase order.
- Claims for shortages, damaged material, or grade quality must be made in writing within 10 days of receipt of material. Digital photos should be taken to document the problem.
- All moisture content claims must be made in writing within 3 days of receipt of material. Digital photos should be taken of moisture meter readings showing the problem or verified by a Hockstein's Inc. manager.
- All claims must include digital photos which document clearly the nature and extent of the claim problem. Hockstein's Inc. requires basic photo documentation before it will engage in any discussion of claim inspection and/or resolution.
- PURCHASERS MUST HAVE WRITTEN APPROVAL FROM HOCKSTEIN'S INC. TO CONTRACT A NWFA INSPECTOR.
- ALL INSPECTIONS MUST BE COMPLETED BY A CERTIFIED NWFA INSPECTOR. HOCKSTEIN'S INC. AND THEIR SUPPLIERS WILL NOT APPROVE A CLAIM, UNLESS THE REPORT WAS PROVIDED BY A CERTIFIED NWFA INSPECTOR.
Hockstein's Inc. and their suppliers have no obligation to indemnify the purchaser if the purchaser fails to comply with the claim procedure under this warranty or if the purchaser proceeds to correct the problem without previously informing Hockstein's Inc. of the nature of the problem or without allowing Hockstein's inc. to conduct a physical examination of the flooring that the purchaser reports to be defective.